If you’re a blogger like me, you probably know that in order to get a decent traction for your content you need to spend at least 40% of your time on blog promotion. Of course, no one argues that the content of your blog must be good, otherwise all your efforts will fall on deaf ears.
That’s why prior to hitting that publish button you should make sure that your audience has a clear take-away from each post. Headlines also have an enormous impact on your blog’s success. No one will bother to click on a title if it sounds boring and uninspiring. Writing good headlines is an amazing skill to have and if you’re interested in acquiring it I can highly recommend this free book by Jon Morrow called 52 Headline Hacks.
HOW TO PROMOTE YOUR BLOG
If you google how to get your blog noticed you’ll often find a massive list of places to promote your blog. However, none of them say how useful each of them really are. Because let’s face it – you and I – we are busy people and we don’t want to spend too much on a promotion method that doesn’t bring us much traffic.
That’s why I decided to write this post. What I’m going to do here is show you the most effective proven methods of promoting a blog post for your specific niche. I will also share a few best practice tips to help you get the most out of your time.
There are 2 rules you need to follow to use your blog promoting time wisely:
WHICH BLOG PROMOTION TYPES WORK BEST FOR YOUR NICHE
MOST EFFECTIVE WAYS TO PROMOTE YOUR CONTENT WITHOUT APPEARING SPAMMY
We’ll cover both rules extensively in the post below. I’ve also prepared an easy-to-follow downloadable CHECK LIST for you so blog promotion will turn into a child’s game!
Newsletters are one of the most powerful ways to promote your posts. They help you create a strong relationship with your readers and work well for bloggers across every niche.
Here are some hacks to help you lure your readers from their mailbox onto your website:
1. Reveal 40% of your blog’s content and direct your readers to the website for more.
2. Reveal only the benefits of your blog post and direct your readers to the website to find out how to get them.
3. Use images, but don’t reveal the entire picture, just a cut-out.
e.g if you’re a fashion blogger writing about these new shoes you can’t live without – make sure to include a picture deliberately NOT showing the shoes. I know… it sounds so contradictory, but it works! People are just curious by nature.
4. Categorise your subscriber list properly to make sure you send relevant content. If you fail to do that, you will lose your subscriber’s interest as quickly as you’ve gained it.
Related: If you’re curious about how to get those subscribers in the first place, then you’ll find this post quite useful: 3 AMAZING TOOLS THAT ARE VITAL IN GROWING YOUR SUBSCRIBER LIST
2. PUSH NOTIFICATIONS
Some people find them annoying, others find them amazing. However, everyone agrees that Push Notifications are hard to ignore.
You can set up and send webpush notifications for FREE using this tool: SendPulse
But first, your readers need to allow you to send them, by pressing the ALLOW button on a form that you’ve set up with Send Pulse. Similar to Newsletter forms, there are different places you can put this request. I’ve tried out a few options and found TOPLINE to be the most effective method for my blog.
3. EMAIL SIGNATURE
If you’re a very active email sender, it might be a good idea to add a hyperlink of your latest blog post to your signature.
I must admit that I actually haven’t tried this method, but I’m definitely going to give it a go very soon as I find the idea brilliant.
It’s actually not that easy to drive traffic with Instagram, since you’re only allowed to include one clickable link in your profile.
In my post 5 Insane Instagram Hacks from My Favourite Bloggers I reveal how a business blogger Stephanie from Small Talk Social is using “LinkInProfile” to cheat the system and add a link to each of your Instagram Photos. The only minus is that LinkInProfile is a paid for service that costs $9.99/ month.
Most bloggers just leave the homepage as the only clickable link and refer to it every time they post something new. After all, your new posts are usually on the top of your blog and are relatively easy to find.
INSTAGRAM FOR FASHION BLOGGERS – INSIDER SECRETS
If you’re a fashion blogger and want to make money from posting your outfits on Instagram, you have 2 options:
LikeToKnowIt allows bloggers and fans to sign up to the page – one party is posting the outfits and linking them with the LikeToKnowIt unique link. The other party will receive the looks of the bloggers they follow either directly into their mailbox or on their LikeToKnowIt profile.
The only drawback – your fans HAVE to sign up to LikeToKnowIt in order to find your affiliate links.
ShopStyleCollective works in a very similar way to LinkInProfile. It helps you create a landing page within your blog with Instagram images that contain links to the affiliate products (usually called Shop My Instagram) – LoveHannahLee has done it really well!
The drawback is that this landing page is really not easy to set up… Plus, ShopStyleCollective doesn’t have all the brands I’m wearing…so I was kinda struggling to do the tagging. However, the do collaborate with increasingly more brands and they have all the main high-street and designer brands… so definitely worth giving it a try.
Shop My Feed from Love Hannah Lee
Twitter is a great way to promote your posts no matter what niche you’re in. Yippie! The key is to tweet at least once a day and to stay relevant to the trends.
- Attach an image to your tweet as often as you can! According to Hubspot, tweets with relevant images get 94% more views!
- Use trending hashtags – take a look at today’s trending topics and make sure to tweet your view about the subject.
- Get the free SumoMe plugin with the Twitter Highlighter extension to create easy tweets for your visitors.
Facebook pages is a great way to promote your content whatever the niche! The only drawback – you do need to spend a bit of money to get good results.
However, to help you save your money I wrote a blog post which explains you how to boost your post and gain new followers in one go! It’s a great hack and I highly recommend you check it out: Get More Facebook Page Likes With This Powerful Hack
- Although Facebook Cards (when Facebook automatically populates your link with an image) look very easy – they somehow appear to salesy. My Facebook posts usually perform best, when I choose 2-3 outfit images and write a personal custom message about the blog post + link.
- To save time you can connect your Instagram with Facebook and automatically share a selected image on Facebook when you post on Insta. I do it when I post sporadic (unplanned) Instagram images which are not directly related to a blog post.
Facebook groups are a great way to get your content out there and make great connections with other bloggers. Just be careful to stay relevant to the group thread and interact with the group members as well as comment and like their posts before publishing something of your own. It’s a give and take.
Pinterest is one of the best social media tools to drive traffic to your blog. It’s like a giant image driven search engine and you should absolutely invest your time and energy into building up a presence on it.
- Vertical images and a unique style (here is my Pin design: Pinterest)
- Use scheduling softwares like BoardBooster or Tailwind
- Hide your pins with this Pinterest Hack and do A/B testing on your headlines (keep the idea but modify the wording on different hidden pins to see which ones sparks most interest)
8. GOOGLE +
I use Google+ communities to promote my latest blog posts. Google+ is incredibly image driven platform, so make sure that your visuals are amazing!
- Make sure to like and comment on at least 3 other posts in the community before sharing your own.
- Join as many relevant communities as possible. I’ve recently started the Blogging Tips community on Pinterest which you are very welcome to join (as long as you post relevant content of course..hehe)
- If you’re sharing the same post across different communities, make sure to use different images each time – otherwise your G+ homepage will look somewhat spammy…
- Follow and connect with other bloggers in the community – it’s a great way to get noticed!
FASHION BLOGGERS ONLY
I love lookbook.nu! It’s very similar to Instagram, with two major differences:
- You can add links
- It’s only for fashion bloggers
I literally only started using this app about 2 months ago and already it’s my second biggest traffic driver, just after Pinterest.
- Make sure to follow and “HYPE” other blogger’s styles (in all honestly, most of them are pretty amazing)
- You can tag your clothes with affiliate links if you want to make some cash OR
- You can tag your clothes with the URL of your relevant blog post – which is what I’m doing!
Fashion Artista on Lookbook.nu – although I prefer the mobile app
FASHION & PHOTOGRAPHY BLOGGERS ONLY
Flickr is a great photo-sharing community with it’s biggest niche being in Photography. I also see a lot of gorgeous travel and fashion images there. If you’re a sucker for beautiful images you’ll love Flickr.
- I’ve recently discovered that there are also groups on Flickr and you can post your images there if they fit the theme.
- Make sure to add a link to your blog in the description of each image. Flickr reads HTML so you can use this code to make it look less messy: <a href=”URL”>link text</a>
Tumblr is very popular in fashion, art, travel and beauty scenes.
- Make sure to choose a beautiful design when you sign up. Great presentation pays off. Some bloggers actually use only Tumblr as their main blog website. Works well if your blog is very very image focused.
- Make sure to include all your social links and a link to your website.
- I’ve connected my Instagram with Tumblr so my Instagram pictures are directly shared to Tumblr (saves me time and work to maintain another social network)
BUSINESS & LIFESTYLE BLOGGERS ONLY
Ah, good old LinkedIn. It has a great audience and you have 2 ways of promoting your content on it.
- Join several groups in your niche and share your blog articles with them. Remember – it’s a job platform! Entrepreneurial, business-related articles will always perform best!
- Write a short article or an update and link to your blog where suitable.
So medium is a great blogging platform for very brainy people. You should definitely share your articles on it if you’re writing about Economics, Marketing, Politics, Technology Business as well as Lifestyle topics. There are also 2 ways of exploiting the system for your benefit.
- Just copy & paste the entire article from your blog onto Medium and refer to your website at the bottom.
- Write an original article exclusively for Medium and link to related posts on your blog for further reading.
Also very business oriented platform. The way it works is that you join Tribes that interest you. Then you have to like, comment and share the articles from that tribe. You do that for a while until the moderator of the Tribe allows you to post your own articles which then will be shared by the other Triberrs.
I started my own Tribe called Social Media Superstars. Feel free to join it and we can start sharing each other’s posts about marketing and social media!
Although reddit is a bookmarking page, I’ve decided to include it here. Here is why: Reddit is actually quite a tricky page to promote your content as they hate spam and self-promotion, so you have to be extra clever about it. I have to admit that I’m not an expert on Reddit, but my boyfriend is using it all the time so I can see what works well for other people.
- Join Subredits in your niche. Build genuine relationships + your authority by helping other people with their queries.
- When it comes to sharing your content, make sure it’s either highly entertaining, incredibly useful or viral…
- As mentioned before, you can’t really share any links… so make sure to post images or videos with a watermark stating the name of your blog.
Another way of promoting your content is to bookmark it. These are the 3 most common bookmarking sites.
I’ve only started to use them recently, so the only tips I can give you at this point is:
- Set up a profile on each of them
- Submit your blog post URL on the bookmarking sites as soon as you publish it
- Include StumbleUpon, DIGG and DELICIOUS social sharing buttons so your blog visitors can also easily bookmark them
I suggest following each other on these bookmarking sites. Just follow my profile and I’ll follow you back, so that I get notified whenever you bookmark a new post.
16. STUMBLE UPON
Here is my profile: FashionArtista
My profile on Digg: DiggFashionArtista
My profile on Del.icio.us: Fashion_Artista
19. LINK ROUND-UPS
This is a great way to recycle your content and drive traffic to your older posts. How does it work? For example if you’ve written a lot of posts about Pinterest hacks, you can write a new post linking to all your older posts in a structured way.
For example you can start by talking about the importance of a good profile description. Then you’d link to a blog post which describes in great details what makes an amazing profile on Pinterest and so on.
This is is from me on the subject of blog promotion!
Don’t worry if you’re feeling slightly overwhelmed. I’ve created a downloadable Blog Promotion Checklist for you, so you can go through it and tick it off after publishing a new post.
CLAIM YOUR FREE CHECKLIST